Saturday, December 10, 2011

Poetry - Gym Membership

While we're on the subject of poetry, here's a poem I wrote in an undergraduate course about the gym and an ex-boyfriend of mine. I never did step foot in his life again, but I've made it back to the gym - thankfully!


Gym Membership



You’re nothing but a gym membership.


Initially, I couldn’t get enough,


regularly visiting and


enjoying the experience


and the way it appealed to all of my senses:


the smell of sweat


the muscle aches


the rhythm


the contact


the taste


But, like you, the gym has faded,


I’ve stopped going.


I no longer buy into what you promise,


I haven’t experienced any significant results


and you surely haven’t spared me any heartache.


Truthfully, you’re appalling, and


I’ll never set foot in that place again.


Feel free to share any poetry that you may have written in the past. Poetry is such a fun way of expressing your emotions!

Vocabulary

Poem- rhyme, verse

Membership- exclusive, paid member

Rhythm- movement, beat

Promise- pledge, vow

Significant- important, major

Appalling- disgusting, gross


Cloze Exercise: Fill in the blanks with the correct word above.

1: My girlfriend is great at writing ____.

2: I got a gym ____ because I wanted to lose weight.

3: I refuse to dance because I don't have any ____.

4: When you get married, you make a _____ to the other person.

5: I find the smell of vomit _____.

6: Thanks to the amount of overtime I worked last week, I saw a _____ amount of money in my paycheck.

No comments:

Post a Comment